Hybrid elliptical machines, which are also known as cross-trainer or elliptical bikes, combine the mechanism of an elliptical and an indoor bike. You can use them either of two ways, standing or sitting. The advantage of this is that you get the benefits of two machines but only paying for one. And instead od spending space for two, the hybrid machine can now have smaller footprint.
There are a lot of models to choose from, though, and if it is your first time to buy one, it can get overwhelming. The trick is that even before you go look for a model, you have to know how much you are willing and able to spend. Is your purchasing power enough for the machine that you want? You would also want to research the features you can get from your budget. Note of this: you don’t want to pay more if you want less and vice versa.
So with no further ado, here are some of our most recommended machine:
Best Rated Hybrid Elliptical Trainer for the Money
The Bowflex Max Trainer M5 is a little expensive, but it’s everything you would ever need. It is one of the most advanced trainers out there. It’s from a well-known brand, too, so you are rest assured that you can trust its quality. With a weight capacity of 300 pounds, it can help you burn 280 calories in only 15 minutes while engaging the upper body 80% more than any type of exercise equipment.
This elliptical trainer boasts 16 levels of resistance. Depending on the level of intensity you would want for your exercise in a given day, you have a range to choose from. You can do this by manually adjusting the turn dial built into the machine. Moreover, a great feature included into this machine is the target zone and burn rate indicator display that shows how many calories you’re burning every minute. It also allows you to set the activity level throughout the workout to meet your target needs, acting as a motivational tool to keep you on track so you can make workout adjustments as needed. Here are other features you can expect from this machine:
- A backlit display screen that allows you to monitor the intensity of your workout, amount of calories burned and other information that lets you keep track of your progress.
- Heart-rate grips that monitor your heart rate without you having to wear a chest strap.
- 8 built-in programs, including Max Interval, Smart Max Interval, Calorie Burn, Fat Burn and Fitness Test.
- MaxTrainer app that is available for both Apple iOS and Android devices.
- Bluetooth 4.0-enabled console that you can use to store and sync workout results using the MaxTrainer app.
- Two-year warranty.
Best Rated Affordable Hybrid Elliptical Trainer
The Schwinn 520 offers another position of working out: the sitting position. It is also built with oversized pedals and impressive lumbar support, making it a great machine for all ages, including senior adults who are undergoing physical therapy (a doctor consultation is needed, though, to ensure safety). With a stury frame and solid parts, it can support users who weigh up to 300 pounds.
Schwinn features BioFit comfort. The machine’s ventilated, contoured seat back encourages good posture and is designed for hours of comfort. The oversized pedals mentioned earlier have a purpose as well. They allow multiple foot positions. The machine is also equipped with a cooling fan motion to help you maximize your comfort even when you are having a rigorous workout. Additionally, there’s an Airdyne fan system that allows you to control resistance by how hard and fast you work. Here are other features of this machine:
- BioConnect™ Feedback that comes with quiet and flexible rubber fan belt.
- Oversized footplates for multiple positions.
- Non-itrusive placement of the console to prevent knee injury.
- Five-year warranty on the frame.
Best Rated Hybrid Elliptical Machine on the Market
The Octane Fitness ZR7 Zero Runner is a USA-made exercise machine, assuring you of its quality. It is named as such because of what it can deliver: to exercise with zero harsh impact. You can use this for simulated running, jogging or merely walking. It is a very efficient in terms of cardio training and burning calories without having to put stress on your joints. Simply put, the Zero Runner machine is a great alternative to climbers, traditional eliptical trainers and treadmills.
If you add more into your workout, the Zero Runner gives you an option to buy an optional cross training equipment for upper body exercise and gives access to cross training workouts as well as standard lower body workouts. These workouts are delivered by the digital training platform SmartLink, which features hundreds of well-categorized tutorial videos and preset training programs. Additionally, you can set up personalized 30-day, 60-day and 90-day exercise plans with this app. Here are other features of this machine that may make you want to consider it:
- Tablet holder in two locations.
- Heart rate monitoring
- Water bottle holder
- Cordless design that allows you to work out anywhere.
- Transport wheels so you can easily move it from one place to another.
- Warranty. Five years for parts, lifetime for the frame and one year for labor.
Best Rated Inexpensive Hybrid Elliptical
The ProForm Hybrid Trainer Pro is equipped with a 15-pound flywheel, 17-inch stride and deluxe cushioned pedals, making it more comfortable than its predecessor. Additionally, it offers 20 workout apps.
This ProForm elliptical machine has a capacity of up to 350 pounds of user weight. It is also ramped up with a large CD window that features a Priority Display for your favorite workout stats. It has considerably small footprint, which won’t make you worry about room for it. Finally, in just three easy steps, you can transform it from an elliptical trainer to a recumbent bike.
Here are other favorite features of the ProForm Hybrid Trainer Pro:
- Tablet holder that is extra wide and placed at an eye level for easy access while you work out.
- Advanced console that is iFit Bluetooth smart enabled. It provides you with an unlimited workout library and workouts specifically designed by popular TV trainers Chris and Heidi Powell.
- Music Hub. It is built with iPod-compatible audio, including speakers.
- Transport wheels for easy mobility.
- Lifetime warranty on the frame.